Oral hygiene tips to maintain a healthy, lifelong smile.
The focus of modern dentistry is to maintain the integrity of the natural teeth for as long as possible, supporting dental health with restorative and cosmetic dental procedures. But the foundation of long term oral health is always a good oral hygiene routine, consisting of two important factors:
- Daily brushing and flossing
- Two routine preventive care visits per year
Baltimore dentists Drs. Rafat and Izadi of Valley Dental Health remind patients of the important role that preventive care plays in keeping the teeth and gums healthy. Regular oral hygiene, both at home and during visits to Valley Dental Health, helps to prevent the development of common problems such as tooth decay and gum disease. Both of these oral health issues can lead to more complex issues down the road when left untreated.
Oral hygiene tips:
- Brush twice a day with a soft bristled tooth brush and floss once a day between all teeth
- Use fluoride products to support tooth enamel.
- Eat a healthy diet, avoiding sugary snacks and drinks
- Visit the dentist twice a year for an exam and thorough cleaning: these visits give Drs. Rafat and Izadi the opportunity to spot dental problems in their early stages when they can be treated conservatively.
- Rinse the mouth with water or chew sugar free gum between meals to reduce bacteria that can lead to tooth decay
- Address any changes in the bite, gums or teeth promptly: this can often enable your dentist at Valley Dental Health to restore oral health with conservative dentistry.
A functional, healthy bite has proven to be an important part of a good quality of life, especially as we age. Being able to speak comfortably and eat a varied diet can have an impact on maintaining overall physical well being. Take the time to care for your dental health and make it a part of your daily routine for a lifelong smile!