If you complain of frequent headaches and headaches do not go away with pain relievers, you may be experiencing symptoms of a temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD). These types of headaches can usually be treated successfully by a qualified dentist through simple dental procedures and splint therapy.
Dr. Izadi and Dr. Rafat are dentists in Cockeysville, MD, trained and experienced with TMD and TMJ related pain. Using a contemporary and conservative approach, our dentists are able to restore health, function and beauty to the mouth with treatments that are virtually pain-free.
About TMJ Headaches
A majority of headaches are caused by stress. This can be from external sources as well as stress within the occlusal system. When the TMJ doesn’t function properly or the teeth and jaw aren’t in proper alignment, it can cause stress that results in tension and headaches.
The symptoms of TMJ disorders vary widely, but frequent headaches are one of the most common signs. Patients with TMJ headaches often experience:
- Frequent headaches, usually first thing in the morning
- Pain around the temples or back of the head
- Neck pain, shoulder pain or upper back pain
- Migraine or migraine-like headaches
- Teeth grinding, teeth clenching
TMJ Headache Therapy
Dr. Izadi and Dr. Rafat will perform a comprehensive examination that includes a bite analysis to determine whether or not your headaches are caused by TMJ dysfunction. Our treatment options for TMJ therapy range from oral appliance therapy to behavioral therapy.
- TMJ Mouthguard – If teeth grinding is a contributing factor to your TMJ headaches, your dentist may make a custom TMJ mouthguard to prevent you from grinding your teeth. A TMJ mouthguard is usually worn while you are asleep.
Get Relief From Frequent Headaches
Contact Valley Dental Health in Cockeysville, MD to schedule a consultation and bite analysis with Dr. Izadi and Dr. Rafat. Call 410.449.2880 or request an appointment online.