REFRESHING! “Refreshing” isn’t a word many people associate with a dentist, but it’s how my patients describe me. Why? It’s because I approach things differently. I save teeth. I care. I have fun.
Hi, I’m Dr. Laura. My story starts in Brazil. I grew up in a family of health professionals who inspired me to pursue dentistry. I moved to Maryland when I was 16 with a steadfast desire to become a dentist. I attended the University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine for dental school and continued with a residency in Advanced General Dentistry at the University of Maryland. I have the technical knowledge to provide the best treatment, along with the mindfulness to make it personal.
As a dentist nothing makes me happier than seeing you smile… and that happens before treatment begins. My approach to dentistry is about creating a comfortable, fun environment. I strive to make you smile and laugh every step of the way – even in Spanish and Portuguese.
I listen… A lot. And ask a lot of questions. I seek first to understand what truly matters to my patients before developing a treatment plan to give them the smile they truly desire. This includes routine fillings, root canals, extractions, crowns, dentures, and Invisalign to complete smile makeovers.
I understand it can be hard to understand what treatment entails and finding accurate information online. So, I created an Instagram page @drlauracarvalho specifically to educate my patients and to get to know me more. This is a great forum to get new ideas, ask questions, and connect with me between appointments.
Outside of the office, I enjoy being active practicing yoga and indoor climbing, trying new local restaurants (suggestions always needed!), and spending time with my two young nieces & adorable cats Zulu and Zoe.
- Wheaton High School – Silver Spring, MD
- Bachelor of Arts (BA), McDaniel College – Westminster, MD
- Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD), University of Pittsburgh – Pittsburgh, PA
- Certificate in Advanced General Dentistry, University of Maryland – Baltimore, MD
- If I weren’t so good at my job, I’d be… a standup comedian!
- My favorite word that has no direct English translation is… Saudade. It is a feeling of longing, melancholy, or nostalgia that can be related to a place, a person or a time in which you wish to go back to but can’t. I love that word because it also means love since you would never miss something/someone you don’t absolutely love… you know, the same feeling you have between dental appointments!
- Cats or Dogs? Contrary to common belief I love both, but I have cats because I don’t like walking outside when it’s cold!
- Ravens or Orioles? Ravens! I love smart birds.
- Why Maryland? I love how diverse Maryland is! Plus it’s has beautiful nature, fun things to do and great (unpredictable) weather!