The holiday season is one of our favorite times of the year and we look forward to family celebrations, parties and enjoying beautiful holiday decorations around town. As Hunt Valley family dentists, we also like to take the opportunity to remind our patients that maintaining a healthy smile during the holidays with good oral hygiene is important to avoid tooth decay and potential gum disease as a result of consuming seasonal foods and beverages.
An increased consumption of sweets, sugary drinks, red wine and other holiday favorites can affect your dental health. In addition, hard candy such as candy canes can be the cause of broken teeth and oral appliances. While we hope you enjoy all of these treats, here are a few quick tips for keeping your smile healthy and looking its best:
- Enjoy your holiday sweets and treats in moderation- good for the teeth and the waistline!
- Rinse the mouth with water after eating and drinking to reduce bacteria on tooth surfaces and minimize staining.
- Drink plenty of water to remain hydrated and avoid drying out the mouth.
- Never use your teeth as a bottle opener or nut cracker, and be sure the proper tools are available to party guests.
- Maintain a healthy oral hygiene routine- don’t forget to brush and floss after a late night party.
In the event of a dental emergency, contact our office immediately for advice on how best to handle your situation and avoid permanent damage if possible. If you have not been to the dentist in more than 6 months, why not resolve to restore your smile for the coming year- call and schedule a visit to our Hunt Valley dentist office.
We welcome new patients and provide the dental services you and your family may need to maintain or restore a healthy smile.