Do you have stained, yellowed, or discolored teeth? Are you looking for the best ways to brighten your smile? Our office helps patients whiten their smile with our professional whitening treatments. Here we will discuss common causes of discoloration as well as how patients can address tooth discoloration in our Cockeysville, MD dental office. We want our patients to achieve the smile of their dreams with our cosmetic dental treatments.
What Causes Tooth Discoloration?
There are multiple common causes of discoloration, including:
- Diet: Some foods and beverages contain chromogens. These compounds easily stain the enamel. Wine, coffee, tea, berries, and tomato sauce can stain teeth over time.
- Tobacco: Smoking, vaping, and using other tobacco products can yellow the enamel as well as cause problems like bad breath and slower healing times.
- Tooth Damage: Chipped, cracked, and fractured teeth expose dentin, the dark underlayer beneath the enamel. Dentin can cause single injured teeth to appear darker.
- Poor Oral Hygiene: Stains from certain foods and plaque can build up on teeth if patients do not floss and brush regularly.
- Medications: Antihistamines, antipsychotics, and antihypertensive medications can discolor tooth enamel. Please let us know if you take any medications as they can affect your oral health.
- Aging: The outer tooth enamel often wears away with age, exposing the darker dentin beneath.
Contact our office if you notice a change in the appearance of your smile and want brighter, whiter teeth. We work with patients to create custom treatments that fit their goals, budget, and current cosmetic needs.
Teeth Whitening Solutions in Cockeysville, MD
Our dental office provides in-office and take-home teeth whitening treatments. Our in-office treatment with Venus White MAX uses a highly concentrated whitening gel that we place on cleaned teeth. Treatment consists of 3 to 4 15-minute treatments. After we apply the gel, we wait for the active ingredients to penetrate the enamel. Then, we remove the gel and repeat the process.
Patients who want to whiten their teeth in the comfort of their own home benefit from take-home whitening treatment. Patients who choose in-office treatment can also touch up their results at home. For this treatment, we create custom-made whitening trays using dental impressions. Once these trays are complete, we provide patients with the trays and whitening gel. Patients will place the gel evenly in the trays and wear them for a certain amount of time.
Dental crowns and veneers can help patients who have intrinsic stains within a tooth or teeth. Intrinsic stains do not respond to whitening treatment and need other cosmetic or restorative care. Porcelain veneers can cover the front of teeth and cover all of the teeth in the smile line. Dental crowns also cover teeth and also help patients who have tooth damage or wear.
Do you want to whiten your natural smile? Schedule a dental appointment at Valley Dental Health online or call our office at 410.803.5587. Please let us know if you have any questions about whitening treatment, and we can help.